City receives grant to update welcome signs

On December 30, 2009, in News 2009, by Mark Norris

StateGazette.com
December 30, 2009

The city of Dyersburg will soon spruce up entrances to the city with the help of a grant from the Tennessee Department of Transportation.

The $39,207 Roadscapes Grant, provided by TDOT’s environmental division, will be used for landscaping and replacing signage at four of the city’s gateways.

“These funds will help make improvements along the roadways that serve as the front door to our communities,” said Gov. Phil Bredesen in a recent press release on the grant. “Well-planned landscaping programs create an inviting atmosphere that can boost local economies and improve the quality of life for citizens.”

“I would like to thank Governor Phil Bredesen and TDOT Commissioner Gerald Nicely for this grant to replace all of the City of Dyersburg welcome signs and landscaping,” said Dyersburg Mayor John Holden. “I would also like to thank the members of the Dyersburg City Beautiful Committee for their assistance in designing the new signs and landscaping. It is my hope that the citizens of Dyersburg will be proud of these new signs.”

“The roadscapes program creates an opportunity to showcase the roadways and natural beauty of our state,” said Nicely in the TDOT press release. “It’s important to create welcoming places for people to live and work and to build a sense of pride in one’s community.”

State Reps. Craig Fitzhugh and Judy Barker and State Sen. Mark Norris were also instrumental in securing the grant for the city of Dyersburg.

Developed in 2006, the Tennessee Roadscapes initiative is a partnership between community organizations across the state and TDOT that creates inviting spaces through an integrated approach to roadside landscaping. Through the program, TDOT funds 80 percent of project costs with grant recipients contributing the remaining 20 percent. Grants are derived from federal funds that are specifically earmarked for roadway enhancement projects.

The Roadscapes program includes a variety of environmental stewardship and beautification programs including landscaping with naturalized flowers and native flowering trees; memorials and parks; roadside tree planting; exotic and invasive plant removal; litter cleanup and prevention education programs; Adopt-A-Highway and Adopt-A-Spot programs; and community landscaping at intersections, street corners, medians, entrances and gateways.

Comments are closed.